Defensive Driving Safety Program
Do you have a ticket?
You are eligible for the Defensive Driving Program if your citation is for one of the following:
- Exceeding a safe speed
- Driving left of center
- Speeding- 15 mph or less over speed limit(under 80 mph)
- Leaving vehicle unattended
- Speed less than minimum
- Too fast for conditions
- Crossing median
- Any equipment violation
- Failure to stop for RR warning
- Driving without two headlights
- Stop sign violation
- Failing to dim headlights
- Failing to burn headlamps
- Unsafe movement
- Exceeding posted speed limit
- Failing to reduce speed
- Improper use of traffic lane
- Wrong way on one-way road
- Overloading violations
- Red light violation
- Failing to give turn signal
- Failing to yield right-of-way
NO Insurance Points and NO Drivers License Points
If you have been charged with a minor violation in the 36th Judicial District, you may elect to have it reduced by the District Attorney, Scott Reilly, by completing a 4-hour defensive driving course! This course is offered through Western Piedmont Community College and the Safety and Health Council of North Carolina to train motorists in the principles of defensive driving.
In order to take advantage of this opportunity you MUST:
- Have written permission from the DA to take the class if you were speeding more than 15 mph over the speed limit, if you were speeding in a work or school zone, if you were driving over 80 mph, or you have taken the class in the last three years.
- Register in person Monday-Thursday from 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. – Hildebrand Hall, WPCC Main Campus [map].
- Pay $50.00 or $60.00 effective July 15, 2019 for the cost of administering and teaching the Defensive Driving Course(Credit/Debit Card, Cash, or Money Order) made payable to Western Piedmont Community College.
- Provide proof of course completion.
- Pay all applicable court costs and fines (five (5) days before your scheduled court date) to the Clerk of Court in the county in which you received your citation.
*Fees subject to change. Please verify the cost of registration prior to signing up for class.
You are NOT eligible and you CANNOT take advantage of the program if:
- Your court date has passed, OR
- You have taken the course in the previous 3 years OR
- You have paid your citation prior to class.
If You Have Been Involved In An Accident:
Please contact your insurance company for questions regarding how your ticket may affect your insurance premiums.
You will need the following to register:
- Your traffic citation
- Your drivers license
- $50.00 cash or $60.00 cash beginning July 15, 2019 (Please bring correct change, Credit/Debit Card, Cash, or Money Order)made payable to Western Piedmont Community College. This is a self-supporting class and registration fees are non-refundable.
Class Location & Times
Classes are held on Wednesday evenings from 6:00 p.m. until 10:00 p.m. and on Saturday mornings from 8:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. at the Foothills Higher Education Center [map], located at 2128 South Sterling Street in