FIRST GENERATION COLLEGE STUDENTS
GET THE HELP YOU NEED
You have unique challenges. Balancing your studies with daily life. Getting help when you struggle with a class. Staying on track to graduate.
WPCC is here to help you with assistance from Student Support Services. We have staff and resources to help you navigate your challenges and find success.
LEARN MORE BELOW
WHO IS ELIGIBLE
You can participate in WPCC Student Support Services if you meet the following requirements:
- Are a citizen or National of the United States or meet the residency requirement for Federal student financial assistance.
- Are enrolled at WPCC or have been accepted to enroll in the next academic term.
- Have a need for academic support.
- Are an income-eligible, first generation college student (neither parent(s)/guardians earned a four-year degree) or an individual with disabilities.
WHAT WE DO
OUR FREE SERVICES
Academic, Career & Personal Coaching
Get personal guidance on how to reach your goals
Academic & Professional Skills Workshops
Training to help with your studies and to get job skills
Financial Aid & Scholarships
Get help completing the FAFSA and finding money to pay for college
Cultural & Educational Events
Special on-campus gatherings just for you
Employment & Professional Development
Opportunities to network and find jobs
Financial & Economic Literacy
Attend workshops to learn about smart money management
Referrals to Resources
Use our collection of resources designed to help you
Supplemental Tutorial Support
Need extra help in a class? SSS has tutors for that
Supplemental Grant Aid
Apply for additional grant aid to meet your financial needs
WHAT DRIVES US
WPCC’s Student Support Services (SSS) program provides opportunities for academic development, assists students with basic college requirements, and serves to motivate students toward the successful completion of their postsecondary education. The goal of SSS is to increase the college retention and graduation rates of participants and help students make the transition from one level of higher education to the next.
HOW TO APPLY
Complete this 3-step process to apply for Student Support Services:
- Fill out an online application or stop by the SSS Office in Hildebrand Hall Room 139 or visit Disability Services in Hildebrand Hall Room 136 and pick up a paper application.
- If you fill out a paper application, submit it to the SSS Office in Hildebrand Hall or mail it to WPCC/TRIO SSS, 1001 Burkemont Avenue, Morganton, NC 28655.;
- After applying, meet with the SSS staff for an academic needs assessment.