Reasons to Learn English
- Earn more money/better job opportunities.
- Attend college or enroll in other education opportunities.
- Help your children with school work.
- Obtain computer skills.
English Language Civics
English Language (EL) Civics offers you an easy way to study for the citizenship test while you learn English! You will learn about US history, government, geography, culture, and citizenship while you learn English. The goal is to help you gain skills to become an active and informed parent, worker, and community member.
What is the English as a Second Language (ESL) program?
The ESL program provides free classes for students who wish to learn English. You can increase your speaking, reading, writing, and listening skills in English!
Why choose the English as a Second Language (ESL) program?
WPCC’s ESL program provides:
- Free classes, free materials, and free tutoring,
- An opportunity to learn workplace skills, community interaction, and college and career readiness,
- A way to learn from friendly, supportive teachers,
- Preparation for your citizenship test,
- A comfortable way to learn in small classes,
- Convenient times for you to learn, whether morning or evening hours, and
- Instructor-led classes and opportunities to practice computer skills.
How long will it take?
It depends. You will be tested when you enter our program and then placed into one of three levels. The time it takes to complete the program depends on what your skills are when you start and how hard you work while enrolled.
When and where do classes meet?
English as a Second Language (ESL) classes meet at the Western Piedmont Community College campus at 1001 Burkemont Avenue in the bottom of Patton Hall.
- Monday through Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Monday through Thursday from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
How old do I need to be to enroll in the English as a Second Language (ESL) program?
The minimum age is 18. Students under the age of 18 should contact the Burke County Public School System.
How does a student get started?
New student orientation is required! Appointments are available every Monday at either 9:00 a.m. or 5:00 p.m.
How can a student contact the program to register and obtain more information?
For more information on how you can learn English, please submit our online form.