Associate in Arts in Teacher Preparation
A specialized college transfer program preparing you to complete a bachelor’s degree in education.
Make A Difference.
Be A Teacher.
The Associate in Arts Teacher Preparation (AATP) degree gets you started to transfer to a four-year institution to earn a Bachelor of Arts degree in education. The AATP is a degree that is appropriate for students who are interested in becoming K-12 teachers in areas such as Art, Language Arts/English, History, Music, Physical Education, Social Studies, or World Languages.
At WPCC, you will enjoy smaller classes and one-on-one interaction with your instructors, and our affordable tuition, combined with scholarships and financial aid, will help you save money while reaching your goals.
The AATP works through the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA) for University of North Carolina System schools and the Independent Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (ICAA) for North Carolina independent colleges and universities to enable transfer with junior status for graduates with the degree. Graduates must obtain a grade of “C” or better in each course and an overall GPA of at least 2.0 on a 4.0 scale in order to transfer with a junior status. Courses may also transfer through bilateral agreements between institutions.
Program Costs, Graduation & Job Placement
Estimated Total Cost
for A.A. in Teacher Preparation Degree
Each Semester (15 Credit Hours):
Tuition/Fees – $1,298.20
Estimated Book Costs – $750
TOTAL ESTIMATED COSTS FOR 2022-2023: $4,096.40
N/A (college transfer program)
Additional Requirements for Licensure,
Certification or Approval
What You Will Study
The AATP degree at WPCC consists of the following components:
- Universal General Education Transfer Component
(31-32 Semester Hours)
- English Composition (6 Semester Hours)
- Humanities (9 Semester Hours)
includes Communications, Fine Arts, & Literature)
- Mathematics (3 Semester Hours)
- Natural Science ( 4 Semester Hours)
- Social/Behavioral Science (6 Semester Hours)
- Additional General Education
(17-18 Semester Hours)
- Other Required General Education
- SOC 225 – Social Diversity (3 Semester Hours)
- Physical Education (2 Semester Hours)
- General Education Electives (12 Semester Hours)
- Other Required Hours
(15 Semester Hours)
- Required Courses
- ACA 122 – College Transfer Success (1 Semester Hour)
- EDU 187 – Teaching and Learning for All (4 Semester Hours)
- EDU 216 – Foundations of Education (3 Semester Hours)
- EDU 250 – Teacher Licensure Preparation (3 Semester Hours)
- EDU 279 – Literary Development and Instruction (3 Semester Hours)
Total Credit Hours: 60
Resources for AATP Students
Click or tap on the following topics for help with planning your studies at WPCC.
Ann Marie Radaskiewicz, Dean, Arts & Sciences
(828) 448-3509 • firstname.lastname@example.org
Phifer Learning Resources Center [map]
Arts & Sciences Faculty
Get to know your instructors! Click or tap on a name for a brief biography.
Get more info.
Like more information about WPCC’s college transfer programs? Please complete our Associate in Arts in Teacher Preparation questionnaire below and we’ll be in touch!