About the Placement Test
The purpose of placement testing is to determine the level at which a student is to begin his/her college course work. Some students are ready for college level course work, while others may need their writing, reading, and/or math skills refreshed or built up prior to enrolling in college level classes. You may be required to complete the placement test in order to determine correct placement in academic courses.
Placement Test Exemption
You may be exempt from placement testing if one of the following criteria has been met:
- Have graduated from high school within the last 10 years of enrollment. Placement is based on an unweighted high school GPA. (no age limit for high school graduation – valid for Summer & Fall 2020 enrollment only) or;
- Have received an Associate degree or higher from an accredited institution or;
- GED taken since 2014, with a score of 145 or greater on each subject area or;
- Have taken the HISET, within the last 10 years, with a score of 15 or greater for each of the five components & a grade of 4 or greater on the essay or;
- Meet the ACT or SAT subject area test score requirements and the scores are not more than 10 years old from enrollment term or;
- Have successfully completed ENG 111 with a grade of “C” or better from an accredited institution or;
- Have successfully completed a college level Math course with a grade of “C” or better from an accredited institution
Please have an official copy of your high school transcript, college transcript(s), GED or ACT/SAT test scores sent to:
1001 Burkemont Ave
Morganton, NC 28655
You can also request that your transcript be sent electronically from another institution to WPCC, as long as they have an option to securely submit them. Use the email@example.com e-mail address for these submissions.
If you earned an Adult High School Diploma or have graduated high school over ten years ago and do not have an Associate’s degree or higher or have not taken a college level English or Math course, you may be required to take a placement test. Contact the Director of Career & Testing Services at (828) 448-3155 with questions regarding placement testing.
Please see the WPCC catalog for student’s program requirements to determine the full math sequence needed.
Placement Test Review
Preparing for the test may reduce or eliminate the need to take additional pre-requisites before taking college level courses.
Take A Practice Test
Visit EdReady to take a practice placement test.
Free Online Study Resources
- Khan Academy
(Math Review Resources)
- Math Lessons by Wyzant
- English Lessons by Wyzant
The Academic Success Center can also help with test preparation.
Schedule the Placement Test
Testing is by appointment only after you have submitted you submit your WPCC application.
- Call (828) 448-3155 to schedule an appointment.
- Photo ID is required to take the test.
- Results are available at the conclusion of the test.
Testing at a Distance
If you live near WPCC, please schedule the placement test with us.
If you do not live within reasonable driving distance of WPCC, please contact your local community college and ask to schedule a courtesy placement test for WPCC.
Please have an official copy of your placement test scores sent to:
1001 Burkemont Avenue
Morganton, NC 28655
Placement Test Accommodations
Test accommodations are available to students with documented disabilities. If you require special test accommodations as a result of your disability, you must arrange for these accommodations at least 48 hours in advance of your assigned test date. Arrangements for special accommodations are made through the Office of Disability Services by calling (828) 448-3153.