Childcare Assistance

Western Piedmont Community College is an institution that enrolls a large number of Pell-eligible students that are in need of child care assistance.  The main purpose of establishing child care assistance is to increase access to child care for low-income student-parents so that it will enable the continuation of their post-secondary education.

Applying for Child Care Assistance

  • Students must complete a child care application which is available in Student Services in Hildebrand Hall.
  • Students must have completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and received a Student Aid Report from the processor before eligibility for childcare assistance can be determined. The student must maintain satisfactory progress according to the rules of financial aid to be eligible for childcare assistance.]
  • Students must make application for childcare assistance through their local Department of Social Services (DSS) and provide documentation regarding the status of the application before eligibility for childcare assistance can be determined.  Students who are denied child care assistance through DSS may qualify for child care assistance from WPCC.
  • Students must be enrolled in a minimum of six credit hours to receive assistance through WPCC.  Childcare payments will be prorated based on the number of credit hours the student maintains.
  • Children of eligible parents must be placed in a legal childcare arrangement.  Child care providers must be a licensed child care center, registered family child care home, or a public school child care program.
  • Priority for childcare assistance is given as follows:
    • returning single parents with highest unmet need
    • returning non-single parents with highest unmet need
    • new single parents with highest unmet need
    • new non-single parents with highest unmet need


Child Care Forms

View or download forms by clicking the links below. They are Adobe Acrobat PDF files. Get the free Acrobat Reader here.


For more information, contact Cody Helms at (828) 448-3151.