VA Benefit Programs

VA Education Benefit Programs

Western Piedmont Community College is approved for training of veterans, national guard/reservists, and dependents of deceased or disabled veterans under the following programs administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs:


  • Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33)
    A New education benefit program for individuals who served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001
  • Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty Educational Assistance (Chapter 30)
    Enlisted or entered active duty FOR THE FIRST TIME on or after July 1, 1985, with active duty service of at least two years and an Honorable Discharge.
  • Montgomery GI Bill® – Selective Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1606)
    Enlistment in the Selected Reserve for a period of not less than six years on or after July 1, 1985 with Honorable Discharge.
  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) (Chapter 1607)
    Member of a reserve component who served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001 under title 10 U.S. Code for a contingency operation (in response to war or national emergency) and who served at least 90 consecutive days or more.
  • Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program (VEAP) (Chapter 32)
    Entered active duty after December 31, 1976, and before July 1, 1985, with Honorable Discharge, and made financial contributions to the program.
  • Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35)
    Children or spouse of a veteran who is permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition; or who died in service; or who died of a service-connected disability; or who is listed as a POW or MIA.
    Children of disabled or deceased veterans who are North Carolina residents may also be eligible for a scholarship which pays tuition, some fees, room, and meals from the North Carolina Division of Veterans Affairs, Raleigh, North Carolina. Scholarship applications and additional information can be obtained from the Burke County VA Office at (828) 439-4373.
  • Vocational Rehabilitation for Veterans with Service-Connected Disabilities (Chapter 31)
    Entitlement for Chapter 31 benefits is determined by a VA counselor on an individual basis.  If a veteran is interested in Chapter 31 services s/he should contact Voc-Rehab directly at (727) 319-7900 or toll free at 1-800-827-1000 ext 7900.
  • Members of the North Carolina National Guard may be eligible for tuition assistance.
    National Guard members should contact her/his unit to obtain an application.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
More information about education benefits offered by VA is available
at the official U.S. government Web site at