VA Applying for Benefits

Getting Started

Eligibility for Veterans Education benefits is determined by the Veterans Administration, not Western Piedmont Community College.  Applications for VA Education Benefits should be submitted online through the GI Bill® website.

You may contact the VA Administration at 1-888-442-4551 to confirm your eligibility.

WPCC Procedures:

1.  Have you received VA Education Benefits before?

  • If YES – Complete VA Form 22-1995, Change of Program or Place of Training, with the VA Certifying Official in HH 102B.
  • If NO  –  Complete Application for VA Benefits (Form 22-1990), online at

2.  Provide copy of DD-214 or NOBE to VA Certifying Official (Office, HH 102B).

3.  Provide a copy of the “Certificate of Eligibility” once you receive confirmation from the VA.

4.  Choose a VA approved program of study.  Most WPCC Academic Programs that award a degree, diploma or certificate are approved.  Consult with VA Certifying Official if you have questions.

5.  Meet all WPCC and VA admission requirements. 

  • Complete a WPCC Application for Admission.
  • Submit official high school or GED transcripts to WPCC.
  • Submit official transcripts from all colleges attended.
  • Obtain formal evaluation of all college transcripts and any military training with WPCC Transfer Counselor.
  • Complete any required placement testing.

5.  Provide copy of registration form with class schedule to VA Certifying Official at the beginning of EVERY semester you wish to receive benefits.

6.  Inform the VA Certifying Official immediately of ANY changes in enrollment status (i.e., add or drop a class, withdrawal, etc).


GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the
official U.S. government Web site at