Transfer Credit

Photo of a WPCC graduate holding his diploma with family and friendsThere are many options available to our students who wish to transfer Western Piedmont degrees and course credits to 4-year colleges and universities.

Preparing to Transfer

If you know you would like to transfer to a 4-year college or university, here are options you should consider when selecting a program at Western Piedmont Community College:

  • Associate in Arts (AA) / Associate in Science (AS): These degrees are guaranteed to transfer to any UNC system school, as well as to a large number of in-state independent schools as outlined in the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA). Students completing the AA or AS degree can be assured that up to 61 credits can be transferred to any of these schools and they will be admitted as a junior. In addition, these degrees include 30 hours of Universal General Education Transfer Component courses guaranteed to transfer for general education credit to any of the state’s 16 public universities. A student who completes one of these degrees and meets all of the stipulations set forth in the CAA will be assured admission to one of the 16 institutions.
  • Associate in Fine Arts (AFA) in Art or in Drama / Associate in General Education (AGE): These degrees include courses that are taken as part of the CAA. However, students should note that the degree itself is not covered by the CAA. Each college or university can decide the number of transferable credits. Students earning these degrees are not afforded the same transfer guarantees as Associate in Arts/Associate in Science degree students.
  • Associate in Applied Science (AAS): This degree is typically a technical degree and is not covered by the CAA. However, there are a number of colleges and universities that will accept the AAS degree and have Bachelor degree programs to meet the needs of students earning this degree. We invite you to learn if your degree is part of a 2+2 Articulation Agreement.


It is the responsibility of each student to review all admission requirements of the school of their choice to ensure transferability of coursework. Some high demand programs may have admission requirements beyond those for general admission.

For more information on transferring to a 4-year college or university, contact the WPCC Admissions/Transfer Counselor at (828) 448-3161.

Transfer Partner Institutions

There are also numerous options in the area if you’re wishing to complete your degree closer to home. You may be interested in one of the cohort based programs offered locally or a number of online programs. Below you will find information about the programs offered locally by our 4-year university and college partners.  Many of these options are distance learning, so be sure to contact the college or university for more information on their program offerings.

Appalachian State University Logo

Appalachian State University
Boone, NC

Ruthanne Combs 
Assistant Director of Transfer Recruitment 
(828) 262-7453

A wide variety of transfer distance education degree programs are offered at the undergraduate level and both degree and certificate programs at the graduate level. Classes may be online or seated.

Aspire Appalachian LogoAspire Appalachian is a co-admission program with WPCC that provides you with a seamless pathway to transfer to Appalachian after completing an Associate in Arts (AA), Associate in Science (AS), or an approved Associated in Applied Science (AAS) degree. Students who complete an eligible associate degree, with a cumulative GPA of 2.25, are guaranteed admissions to Appalachian State University.

Gardner-Webb University Logo

Gardner-Webb University
Boiling Springs, NC

Sandy Bailes, Assistant Director
Degree Completion Program
(866) 498-4625

The Degree Completion Program (formerly known as GOAL) provides traditional undergraduate classes at times and locations for working adults.

Lees-McRae College Logo

Lees-McRae College
Banner Elk, NC

Lisa Hall
Regional Coordinator
(828) 448-6197

These Extended Campus Programs (ECP) are designed for non-traditional students in a seated class setting during the evening hours only.

Lenoir-Rhyne University Logo

Lenoir-Rhyne University
Hickory, NC

Mae Mills
Assistant Director, Enrollment Management – RIBN
(828) 328-7300

A four year RN to BSN program, the Hickory RIBN program is a competitive dual admittance program that enrolls students to both Lenoir-Rhyne University and Western Piedmont Community College.

Montreat College Logo

Montreat College School of Adult and Graduate Studies
Montreat, NC

Jesse Boeckermann
(828) 448-3139

Jim Paden
(828) 448-3139

Montreat College’s Morganton location offers on-site Bachelor of Science in Psychology and Human Services and Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling degrees. Each is grounded in a Christ-centered educational foundation and designed specifically to help you sharpen your thinking and gain the skills that employers seek, allowing you to enhance your career in your chosen field. In addition, Montreat has a variety of both undergraduate and graduate level degrees offered online.

Western Carolina University Logo

Western Carolina University
Cullowhee, NC

Jim Craig, WPCC Regional Coordinator
(828) 448-3507

Offering undergraduate and graduate programs in an online learning community setting with convenient class schedules.

Options with the University of North Carolina System

After completing your Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree with us, find an online baccalaureate degree program that suits you. View details about programs offered through constituent institutions of the University of North Carolina.