About the Test
The purpose of placement testing is to determine the level at which a student is to begin his/her college course work. Some students are ready for college level course work, while others may need their writing, reading, and/or math skills refreshed or built up prior to enrolling in college level classes. Students may be required to complete the placement test in order to determine correct placement in academic courses.
Placement Test Format
WPCC utilizes the NC DAP (North Carolina Diagnostic and Placement) test, an ACCUPLACER test developed by The College Board specifically for the North Carolina Community College System to assess reading, English, and math skills. Generally, students may take the placement test only ONE time, so it is important to prepare. Placement test scores, including SAT and ACT, are not valid if more than five years old from the term of enrollment.
Placement Test Exemption
A student may be exempt from placement testing if one of the following criteria has been met:
- Has graduated from a North Carolina high school within the last five years of enrollment term, and:
- Meets the specified 2.6 or better high school GPA and
- Has successfully completed the four required sequential English courses and
- Has successfully completed the approved NC high school Math sequences, as outlined under the NCCCS Multiple Measures Policy.
(Official high school transcripts must be received in the Student Record’s Office two weeks prior to the date of enrollment.)
- Meets the ACT or SAT subject area test score requirements and the scores are not more than 5 years old from enrollment term.
Test ACT SAT
(March 2016 and Future)
English 18 500 Evidence-Based Reading & Writing 480 Reading 22 500 Mathematics 22 500 Mathematics 530
- Has successfully completed ENG 111 with a grade of “C” or better, from an accredited institution.
- Has successfully completed a college level Math course with a grade of “C” or better, from an accredited institution. Exemption from all or portions of the mathematics sections of the placement test is dependent on the major the student is pursuing and the Math level course taken.
Placement test and developmental courses are not valid if more than five years old from enrollment term or taken prior to the implementation of NC-DAP, unless the student successfully completed college level ENG and/or MAT courses with a “C” or better.
Please have an official copy of your college transcript(s) or ACT/SAT test scores sent to:
1001 Burkemont Ave
Morganton, NC 28655
You can also request that your transcript be sent electronically from another institution to WPCC as long as they have an option to securely submit them. Use the firstname.lastname@example.org e-mail address for these submissions.
Contact the Director of Career & Testing Services at (828) 448-3155 with questions regarding placement testing.
Please see the WPCC catalog for student’s program requirements to determine the full math sequence needed.
Placement Test Review
Generally, each student is allowed to take the placement test only once, so it’s important to be prepared.
Preparing for the test may reduce or eliminate the need for multiple levels of developmental coursework, which can save time and money.
- Download a PDF version of the NC DAP Study Guide and the WritePlacer Guide with Sample Essays.
- Exciting News – the NC DAP web-based study app is free for all students! Get the app today!
Visit the Academic Success Center
The Academic Success Center can help you prepare by giving you a “pre-test” to evaluate your skills in writing, reading and basic math. A review program will be designed to help you improve any areas of weakness. In house materials, free on-line study course & tutors are available.
Free Online Study Resources
- NC DAP Study Resource
- DMA Review by CraftMath
- Khan Academy
(Math Review Resources)
- You Tube: NC DAP videos
- Math Lessons by Wyzant
Schedule the Placement Test
Testing is by appointment only after you have submitted your application.
- Call (828) 448-6046 to schedule an appointment.
- Photo ID is required to take the test.
- Results are available at the conclusion of the test.
Testing at a Distance
If you live near WPCC, please schedule the placement test with us.
If you do not live within reasonable driving distance of WPCC, please contact your local community college and ask to schedule a courtesy placement test for WPCC.
Please have an official copy of your placement test scores sent to:
1001 Burkemont Avenue
Morganton, NC 28655
WPCC accepts the NC DAP placement test scores. The test scores must not be more than 5 years old from the enrollment term.
Placement Test Accommodations
Test accommodations are available to students with documented disabilities. If you require special test accommodations as a result of your disability, you must arrange for these accommodations at least 48 hours in advance of your assigned test date. Arrangements for special accommodations are made through the Office of Disability Services by calling (828) 448-3153.