The Board of Trustees has announced that the search is underway for the next President of Western Piedmont Community College.
Applications and nominations for the position of President of Western Piedmont Community College will be accepted starting on November 25, 2019 and the target date for applications is January 10, 2020.
The Presidential Search Committee
- William Lennon, Chair of PSC & WPCC Trustee
- Scott Mulwee, Trustee, Board Chair
- Bruce A, Hawkins, Sr, Trustee
- Tea Yang, Trustee
- Rod Harrelson, Trustee
- Amy Kincaid, Trustee
- Bryan Steen, Burke County Manager
- Dalton Walters, Past President, Western Piedmont Foundation, Inc.
- Debbie Sigmon, Human Resource Manager
- Alan Wood, President/CEO, Burke Development, Inc.
- Lamar Smitherman, NCSSM Outreach & Industry Relations Associate
- Suzanne Crawford, CCP Coordinator/BCPS College Liaison
- Jon Mercer, VP of Operations, Blue RIdge HealthCare
- Susan Berley, WPCC Staff – Director of Research & Evaluation
- Rick Furse, WPCC Staff – Director of Customized Training
- Monica Arney, WPCC Staff – Controller
- Zeb Graham, WPCC Staff – Chief of Security & Safety
- Susan Williams, WPCC Staff – Dean of Student Services
- Betsy Colliander, WPCC Faculty – Coordinator, Office Systems Technology
- Kennon Briggs, Presidential Search Consultant
- Sandy Hoilman, WPCC Vice President for Administrative Services/CFO
- Kathy Durham, Executive Assistant to the President/Board Liaison
The Presidential Search Timeline
*Timeline Subject to Change
- NOVEMBER 13-14, 2019
ACCT Search Consultant facilitates a series of open Public Forums to solicit feedback to inform the development of the draft Presidential Profile; ACCT opens secure portal for on-line survey collection of information about presidential preferences.
- LATE NOVEMBER, 2019
Presidential Search Committee Meeting – Training and Orientation. Committee reviews and edits the draft Presidential Profile; Board meeting to discuss, edit and finalize the Presidential Profile.
- LATE NOVEMBER, 2019 – JANUARY 10, 2020
Presidential Profile is posted to the WPCC and ACCT websites. ACCT and Search Consultant conduct targeted local, state-wide and national one-on-one recruitment of Candidates. Advertisements placed.
- JANUARY 10, 2020 – TARGET DATE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS
The position is open until filled.
- LATE JANUARY, 2020
Presidential Search Committee Meeting – Presidential Search Committee meets to discuss and select confidential semifinalists.
- MID – FEBRUARY, 2020
Presidential Search Committee interviews confidential semifinalists, deliberates and selects finalists and forwards recommendations Board of Trustees. Names of Finalists sent to State Board.
- FEBRUARY 24-28, 2020
Finalists are brought to WPCC Campus for one-day each for tours, participate in Public Forums, meet with Senior Staff/Direct Reports. Finalists will interview with the full Board of Trustees.
- MARCH, 2020
Name of Final selection forward to the State Board of Community College’s Personnel Committee. Name kept confidential until after the Personnel Committee meets. Note: Selection and announcement contingent upon State Board approval.
- JULY 1, 2020 or TBD
Start date for the next President of Western Piedmont Community College.
Western Piedmont Community College’s mission is to provide accessible, high-quality education that improves lives and promotes growth in our community.
Information about WPCC’s Strategic Plan, Goals, and the Fact Sheet is available in an online document.
WPCC Web Links
About Morganton & Burke County
Located at the doorway to the Blue Ridge Mountains, Burke County features unique outdoor experiences surrounding the Linville Gorge (known as the Grand Canyon of the East), and the waters of the Catawba River, impounded to create Lake James. The county features excellent educational opportunities, high quality health care facilities, and a growing industrial base.
The City of Morganton, along with the towns of Connelly Springs, Drexel, Glen Alpine, Hildebran, Long View, Rhodhiss, Rutherford College, and Valdese call Burke County home. The way of life here is at a slower pace, but vibrant arts, music, food, and cultural scenes combine to provide memorable experiences year-round.
Burke County is also the home of history. Joara, a Native American settlement visited by Spanish explorers in 1567 where they established the first settlement by Europeans in the interior of North America. The county was also an important gathering point for the Overmountain Men on their journey to the Battle of Kings Mountain, the turning point in the American Revolution in the South.
Looking to the future, Morganton is the home of the new western campus of the North Carolina School of Science and Math (NCSSM). Opening in 2021 to 300 residential students, NCSSM-Morganton will be located adjacent to the Western Piedmont campus.
Other Links to Area Information
How to Apply
This is a confidential search process. To ensure full consideration, application materials should be received no later than January 10, 2020. The position will remain open until filled.
To apply go to http://www.acctsearches.org and upload your documents.
Candidates will need to have the following information or materials available to complete the application:
- A letter of application (not to exceed 5 pages) that succinctly addresses the opportunities and challenges identified in the Position Profile and demonstrates how the candidate’s experience and professional qualifications prepare them to serve as the President of Western Piedmont Community College.
- A current resume including an email address and cellular telephone number.
- A list of eight references: example, two to three supervisors, two to three direct reports and two to three faculty and/or staff members from current and former institutions.
For additional information, nominations or confidential inquiries please contact:
- Mr. Kennon Briggs, ACCT Search Consultant, email@example.com, (919) 621-7988 (mobile)
- Julie Golder, J.D., Vice President of Search Services, ACCT, firstname.lastname@example.org, (202) 384-5816 (mobile), 202-775-4466 (office)
*An ACCT Search*
For More Information
If you have any questions or suggestions, or would like to make a confidential inquiry please contact: