Pathfinder: Dental Resources
How to Find Books in the WPCC Library
Use our library catalog, found at one of our catalog terminals near the library entrance or online here. If you are looking for materials about a particular topic, select “SU (Subject)” from the “Look for” drop-down menu and enter a keyword from your topic. Try different keywords if your first search does not bring up any relevant results. You can also enter keywords into the Simple Search, selected from the search drop-down menu. There is great value in browsing the shelf area where you have found a relevant book. Look in the section of the shelves marked “RK” to find books specifically about dental health.
Selected Dental Books
- Clinical Practice of the Dental Hygienist (RK60.5 .W5 2005)
- Color Atlas of Common Oral Diseases (Ref. RC 815 .L35 2003)
- Delmar’s Handbook of Essential Skills & Procedures for Chairside Dental Assistants (RK60.5 .P483 2002)
- Dental Materials: Properties and Manipulation (RK 652.5 .C7 2006)
- Essentials of Dental Assisting (RK60.5 .E37 2001)
- Mosby’s Dental Drug Reference ( Ref. RK701 .G34 2003)
- Torres & Ehrlich’s Modern Dental Assisting (RK60.5 .T67 1999)
Where to Look for Online Periodical Articles
NC Live provides access to more than 60 databases. Some are general, covering a wide range of material, and
some are subject-specific.
- On the NCLNE opening page, choose the “Magazine and Periodicals” options under Browse by Type. You can now choose the specific database to search. Some good medical databases to search are CINAHL, Health Source: Nursing/Academic Edition, and Clinical Pharmacology. Make sure to choose “Full Text” under the “limit your results” section.
- MedLinePius – Not all of NC Live’s databases are searched in the same manner, especially in the area of medicine, and MedLinePlus is one of these. You will need to go to “Browse Resources,” then to the Medical and Health subject link to get to this resource. The Health Topics link and the Search box at the top of the screen are good places to start.
Thompson Gale Academic OneFile
Academic OneFile is an excellent source for full-text articles. Start by searching for one or two keywords about your research topic in the advanced search, putting each one in a different search box. If your search retrieved too many articles, try narrowing your search by adding keywords, selecting a subject area, or selecting “Title” instead of”All-Smart Search.” You might want to click the box that limits the search to full-text articles. Be aware that the way to the full text might involve a few steps. Just follow the links and ask a librarian if you cannot find the article.
Although the above Internet resources are preferable to resources on the World Wide Web because they do have some degree of recognized authority, resources on the World Wide Web might also be an option for your research. Be sure to critically evaluate the sites you wish to reference and be aware that many are out of date, biased, or wrong. Some keys to authority of web sites are dates of publication, recognizable authority and authorship, and infonnation about the publisher. In general, .gov, .edu, and .org are preferable to .com.
Nursing/Allied Health Electronic Resources
On the page listing the databases, click on the Nursing/Allied Health Electronic Resources Link and you will be taken to specific medical/health databases. Some that may be useful for dental health research include: CINAHL + with full text, Medline + with full text, RTDigital library, and Stat. Ref Dental Health.
WPCC Print Periodical Subscriptions
- Contemporary Clinical Dentistry
- Journal of Clinical Orthodontics
- Journal of Dental Hygiene
- Journal of Dentistry
- Journal of Oral Health Research
- Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- American Dental Assistants Association – Website for the American Dental Assistants Association.
- Dental Assisting National Board – the Dental Assistant National Board website – includes exam information, publications and recertification information.
- North Carolina Dental Assistants Association – the North Carolina Dental Assistant Association website.
- NC State Board of Dental Examiners for Dental Assisting – North Carolina State Board of Dental Examiners website which includes information about dental assisting.
- North Carolina Dental Society – North Carolina Dental Society website which includes membership information, meeting information, etc.
- Centers for Disease Control Division of Oral Health – Center for Disease Control’s website on oral health.