create precision components
Explore A Career in Machining Processes
Western Piedmont Community College offers you the opportunity for an introduction to machining processes used in industrial settings through this custom certificate.
In addition to machining, you will be introduced to CNC technology, drafting or print reading, and safety protocols for industrial settings.
New Pratt & Whitney Facility
Pratt & Whitney, an American aerospace manufacturer with global service operations, is building a one million square-foot advanced manufacturing center on a 100-acre site in Asheville. This plant will make airfoils for civilian and military engines, including the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter and several Airbus and Embraer civilian jets. The greatest number of jobs available will be with plant floor operations and applications for positions will be accepted beginning this fall.
WPCC is partnering with Pratt & Whitney to help provide potential skilled workers prior to the plant’s opening, helping to recruit qualified candidates. This program is part of this partnership, and if you successfully complete the certificate, you will not be required to do the 16-hour pre-employment assessment and will be guaranteed an interview with Pratt & Whitney (provided you complete the pre-screening of your application).
Pratt & Whitney
- 800 new jobs over 5 years, 300-400 to start
- New hire categories: Machine setup and operation, quality, material handling, engineering, shipping and receiving, facility and equipment maintenance, and business support
- Three shifts
- Undetermined at this time. Pratt & Whitney has a projected annual payroll of nearly $55 million, with the positions averaging $68,000 a year.
- OPENING JULY, 2022
- Applications Accepted – Fall, 2021 & Spring, 2022
- Pre-Hire Assessments – Fall, 2021 & Spring, 2022
- Interviews – Fall, 2021 & Spring, 2022
- Training for New Hires – Spring/Summer, 2022