Defensive Driving Safety Program
For information please call (828) 448-6133
DO YOU HAVE A TICKET?
You are eligible if your citation is for one of the following:
City Code Violations
Exceeding a safe speed
No child restraint
Driving left of center
Speeding- 15 mph or less
over speed limit
Leaving vehicle unattended
Speed less than minimum
Too fast for conditions
Any equipment violation
Failure to stop for RR warning
Driving without two headlights
Stop sign violation
Failing to dim headlights
Failing to burn headlamps
Exceeding posted speed limit
Failing to reduce speed
Improper use of traffic lane
Wrong way on one-way road
Red light violation
Failing to give turn signal
Failing to yield right-of-way
No Insurance Points and No Drivers License Points
If you have been charged with a minor violation in the 25th Judicial District, you may elect to have it reduced by the District Attorney, David Learner, by completing a 4-hour defensive driving course! This course is offered through Western Piedmont Community College and the Safety and Health Council of North Carolina to train motorists in the principles of defensive driving. If this course is completed and the information presented to the Clerk of Court’s office for payment, no later than five (5) working days before your scheduled court date, there will be NO Insurance Points, NO Drivers License Points and NO Court Appearance.
In order to take advantage of this opportunity you MUST:
- Have written permission from the DA to take the class if you were speeding more than 15 mph over the speed limit, if you were speeding in a work or school zone, if you were driving over 80 mph, or you have taken the class in the last three years.
- Register in person on Tuesdays from 8:30 am – 6:00 pm – Hildebrand Hall, WPCC main campus.
- Pay $50.00 for the cost of administering and teaching the Defensive Driving Course (cash or money order made payable to Western Piedmont Community College.
- Complete the four-hour Defensive Driving Course at least five working days before your court date.
- Enter into a written Plea Agreement and plead guilty to driving with improper equipment.
- Provide proof of course completion.
- Pay all applicable court costs and fines (five (5) days before your scheduled court date) to the Clerk of Court in the county in which you received your citation.
You are NOT eligible and you CANNOT take advantage of the program if:
- Your charge is not listed above, OR
- Your court date has passed, OR
- You have taken the course in the previous 3 years OR
- You have paid your citation prior to class, OR
- You have been convicted of a violation carrying 4 points or more in the past three years, OR
- You have accumulated 5 points or more in the past 3 yrs
You will need the following to register:
- Your traffic citation
- Your drivers license
- Students in High School will need a “Dual Enrollment Form” signed by their Principal or Guidance Counselor
- $50.00 cash (please bring correct change) or money order made payable to Western Piedmont Community College. This is a self-supporting class and registration fees are non-refundable