Defensive Driving Safety Program
For information please call 828.448.6722
DO YOU HAVE A TICKET? You are eligible if your citation is for:
City Code Violations
Exceeding a safe speed
Motorcycle only violations
Driving left of center
Speeding- 15 mph or less
over speed limit
Leaving vehicle unattended
Speed less than minimum
Too fast for conditions
Any equipment violation
Failure to stop for RR warning
Driving without two headlights
Stop sign violation
Failing to dim headlights
Failing to burn headlamps
Exceeding posted limit
Failing to reduce speed
Wrong way on dual lane
Improper use of traffic lane
Following too closely
Wrong way on one-way road
Red light violation
Failing to give turn signal
Failing to yield right-of-way
No Insurance Points and No Drivers License Points
If you have been charged with a minor violation in the 25th Judicial District, you may elect to have it reduced by the District Attorney, Jay Gaither, by completing a 4-hour defensive driving course! This course is offered through Western Piedmont Community College and the Safety and Health Council of North Carolina to train motorists in the principles of defensive driving. If this course is completed and the information presented in the Clerk of Court office for payment no later than five (5) working days before your scheduled court date, there will be no Insurance Points and No Drivers License Points.
Take a Defensive Driving Course to have your traffic citation charges reduced by the District Attorney.
The District Attorney and local law enforcement agencies want you to be a safe driver.
In order to take advantage of this opportunity you MUST:
- Register and complete the four-hour Defensive Driving Course at least five working days before your court date.
- Effective May 17, 2011 You must register on Tuesdays from 8:30 am – 6:00 pm.
- Enter into a written Plea Agreement and plead guilty to driving with improper equipment.
- Pay $50.00 for the cost of administering and teaching the Defensive Driving Course (cash or money order made payable to Western Piedmont Community College, non-refundable).
- Pay all applicable court costs and fines (five (5) days before your scheduled court date) to the Clerk of Court in the county in which you received your citation.
- You are not eligible and you CANNOT take advantage of the program if:
- Your court date has passed, OR
- You have taken the course in the previous 3 yrs OR
- You have been convicted of a 4-point or more moving violation, OR
- You have paid your citation prior to class, OR
- You have accumulated 5 points or more in the past 3 yrs
You will need the following following to register:
- Your traffic citation
- Your drivers license
- Your Social Security number
- Students in High School will need a “Dual Enrollment Form” signed by their Principal
- Cash (please bring correct change) or money order made payable to Western Piedmont Community College
- Cost: $50.00 for the 4-hour class (This is a self-supporting class and registration fees are non-refundable)