Procedure03.04.040.a Conflict of Interest
Board members and employees shall not do any of the following:
- Obtain a direct benefit from a contract that he/she is involved in making or administering on the College’s behalf unless a legal exception applies;
- Influence or attempt to influence anyone who is involved in making or administering a contract on the College’s behalf; or
- Solicit or receive any gift, favor, reward, service or promise of reward, including a promise of future employment, in exchange for recommending, influencing or attempting to influence the award of a contract by the College.
A Board member or employee is involved in administering a contract if he/she oversees the performance of the contract or has authority to interpret or make decisions regarding the contract. A Board member or employee is involved in making a contract if he/she participates in the development of specifications or terms of the contract or participates in the preparation or award of the contract, An employee derives a direct benefit from a contract if the employee or his/her spouse does any of the following: (a) has more than ten percent (10%) ownership or other interest in an entity that is a party to the contract; (b) derives any income or commission directly from the contract; or (c) acquires property under the contract.
Receipt of Gifts
Unless a legal exception otherwise applies, no Board member or school employee may accept gifts from any person or group desiring to do or doing business with the College unless such gifts are instructional products or advertising items of nominal value that are widely distributed.
Any Board members or employee who have questions regarding this Policy or whose actions could be construed as involving a conflict of interest shall report as follows:
- College employees shall report to the President.
- President / Board Members shall report to the Board Chair.
- Board Chair shall report to the College’s legal counsel.
Any policies of the State Board of Community Colleges or any North Carolina state law will take precedence over this Policy.