Procedure03.01.080.a Definitions, Criteria and Qualifications
- “A period of war” includes World War I (April 16, 1917, through November 11, 1918), World War II (December 7, 1941, through December 31, 1946), the Korean Conflict (June 27, 1950, through January 31, 1955), the period of time between January 31, 1955, and the end of the hostilities in Vietnam (May 7, 1975), or any other campaign, expedition, or engagement for which a campaign badge or medal is authorized by the United States Department of Defense.
- “Veteran” means a person who served in the Armed Forces of the United States on active duty, for reasons other than training, and has been discharged under other than dishonorable conditions.
- “Eligible veteran” means:
- a veteran who served during a period of war;
- the spouse of a disabled veteran;
- the surviving spouse or dependent of a veteran who dies on active duty during a period of war either directly or indirectly as the result of such service;
- a veteran who suffered a disabling injury for service-related reasons during peacetime;
- the spouse of a veteran who suffered a disabling injury for service-related reasons during peacetime; or
- The surviving spouse or dependent of a person who served in the Armed Forces of the United States on active duty, for reasons other than training, who dies for service-related reasons during peacetime.
Employment Preference Criteria and Qualifications:
To claim veterans’ employment preference, all Eligible Veterans shall submit a Department of Defense Form 214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) along with a Western Piedmont Community College application for employment, explanatory cover letter, current resume, official/unofficial transcript documenting the required degree(s) to the Human Resources Department. Required degree(s) will be based on position advertisement.
In order to claim veterans’ employment preference, Eligible Veterans must meet the minimum training and experience requirements for the position and must be capable of performing the duties assigned to the position. When the qualifications and experience of the final candidates for a position are deemed equal, employment preference will be given to the Eligible Veteran.