Pathfinder: Music Resources
How to Find Books in the WPCC Library
Use our library catalog, found at one of our catalog terminals near the library entrance or online here. Click on “browse for materials,” click on “subjects,” and type in your subject. Double-click on the appropriate subject heading from the resulting list. Books on your subject in our library will then be displayed. (If you know an author’s name or a particular title you can type that name in at the “author” or “title” box.)
Selected Reference Books
- The Complete Dictionary of Opera and Operetta (Ref. ML 102 .O6A6 1993)
- Country Music: The Rough Guide (Ref. ML 3524 .W645 2000)
- Historical Perspectives in Popular Music (Ref. ML 10 .R736 1993)
- The New Grove Dictionary of Music & Musicians (Ref. ML 100 .N48)
- The New Harvard Dictionary of Music (Ref. ML 100 .N485 1986)
- The New Oxford Companion to Music (Ref. ML 100 .N5 1983)
- The New Oxford History of Music (Ref. ML 160 .N44 1990)
- The Norton/Grove Concise Encyclopedia of Music (Ref. ML 100 .N88 1988)
- The Oxford Companion to Popular Music (Ref. ML 102 .P66G35 1991)
- The Oxford Dictionary of Music (Ref. ML 100 .K35 1994)
- The Penguin Dictionary of Musical Performers (Ref. ML 385 .J17 1990)
- The Penguin Encyclopedia of Popular Music (Ref. ML 102 .P66P46 1989)
Where to Look for Periodical Articles
IMPORTANT: If you want to access these resources off campus, you will use the same username and password you use to log in to any campus computer.
There are two main groups of online databases offered by the library: NCLive and the Academic OneFile. If you want to access these resources from home, you will need to sign a form (available at the circulation desk)
to obtain the passwords. To access the databases, click on the links for each one.
NCLive provides access to more than 60 databases. Some are general, covering a wide range of material, and some are subject-specific. Begin your NCLive search try Proquest Central. This database contains full-text articles on many topics from several thousand magazines and journals, including several music or music-related publications.
Thompson Gale Academic OneFile Database
Academic OneFile is a premier source for peer-reviewed, full-text articles from the world’s leading journals and reference sources. Available journals include the following:
WPCC Print Periodical Subscriptions
The library has a collection of several current periodicals in print. The following relate to the study of literature in particular:
The current issues are located in the Periodical Reading area and are shelved by title in alphabetical order. Back issues can be obtained by contacting any library staff member.
Where to Look on the Internet
- Virtual Music Library – An index to music sites on the Internet.
- Worldwide Internet Music Resources – a guide to Internet music sites prepared by William and Gayle Cook Music Library Indiana University School of Music.
Putting It All Together
Some instructors specify the format that is expected for research papers submitted to them. Check with your instructor to ensure that you use the correct citation format.
- MLA Style: Documenting Sources on the World Wide Web
- A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Thesis, and Dissertations (Turabian) (Ref. LB 2369 .T8 1996)
(online Turabian Quick Guide is available here)
- Concise Rules of APA Syle (Ref. BF 7617 .C66 2005)
- MLA Handbook (8th Edition) (Ref. LB 2369 .G53 2016)
- Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (Sixth Edition) (Ref. BF 76.7 .P83 2010)
- Other citation styles can be reviewed online at the Purdue Online Writing Lab (OWL).
Feel free to ask a librarian for assistance!