How to Find Books in the WPCC Library
Use our library catalog, found at one of our catalog terminals near the library entrance or online here. Click on “browse for materials,” click on “subjects,” and type in your subject. Double-click on the appropriate subject heading from the resulting list. Books on your subject in our library will then be displayed. (If you know an author’s name or a particular title you can type that name in at the “author” or “title” box.)
Selected Reference Books
- The Complete Dictionary of Opera and Operetta (Ref. ML 102 .O6A6 1993)
- Country Music: The Rough Guide (Ref. ML 3524 .W645 2000)
- Historical Perspectives in Popular Music (Ref. ML 10 .R736 1993)
- The New Grove Dictionary of Music & Musicians (Ref. ML 100 .N48)
- The New Harvard Dictionary of Music (Ref. ML 100 .N485 1986)
- The New Oxford Companion to Music (Ref. ML 100 .N5 1983)
- The New Oxford History of Music (Ref. ML 160 .N44 1990)
- The Norton/Grove Concise Encyclopedia of Music (Ref. ML 100 .N88 1988)
- The Oxford Companion to Popular Music (Ref. ML 102 .P66G35 1991)
- The Oxford Dictionary of Music (Ref. ML 100 .K35 1994)
- The Penguin Dictionary of Musical Performers (Ref. ML 385 .J17 1990)
- The Penguin Encyclopedia of Popular Music (Ref. ML 102 .P66P46 1989)
Where to Look for Periodical Articles
There are two main groups of online databases offered by the library: NCLive and the Academic OneFile. If you want to access these resources from home, you will need to sign a form (available at the circulation desk)
to obtain the passwords. To access the databases, click on the links for each one.
NCLive provides access to more than 60 databases. Some are general, covering a wide range of material,
and some are subject-specific. Two good places to begin your search are:
- Academic Search Premier
This database contains full-text articles on many topics, including literature, from several thousand magazines and journals.
- You may also find full-text newspaper articles to be helpful. Try Newspaper Source, the North Carolina Newsstand, the New York Times (complete articles for the past 90 days), or the Wall Street Journal.
Thompson Gale Academic OneFile Database
Academic OneFile is a premier source for peer-reviewed, full-text articles from the world’s leading journals and reference sources. Available journals include the following:
WPCC Print Periodical Subscriptions
The library has a collection of several current periodicals in print. The following relate to the study of
literature in particular:
The current issues of the above magazines are located in the Periodical Reading area and are shelved by title in alphabetical order. Back issues can be obtained by contacting any library staff member.
- Worldwide Internet Music Resources – a guide to Internet music sites prepared by William and Gayle Cook Music Library Indiana University School of Music.