Pathfinder: Education Resources
How to Find Books in the WPCC Library
Use our library catalog, found at one of our catalog terminals near the library entrance or online here. By default, the catalog opens to a simple keyword search. If you want to search by a specific title or author, choose the browse search mode under the “search” key at top of page. Try different keywords in four first search does not bring up any relevant results. There is great value in browsing the shelf area where you have found a relevant book. Look in the section of the shelves marked “L” to find books specifically about education.
Selected Reference Books
- Encyclopedia of American Education (Ref. LB 17 .U54 1996)
- Encyclopedia of Distance Learning (Ref. LC 5211 .E516 2005)
- Encyclopedia of Education (Ref. LB 15 .E47)
- Encyclopedia of Learning Disabilities (Ref. LC 4704.5 .T86 2001)
- Guide to Distance Learning (Ref. LC 5800 .P472 2001)
- Handbook of Research on Multicultural Education (Ref. LC 1099.3 .H35 2002)
- World Education Encyclopedia: A Survey of Educational Systems Worldwide (Ref. LB 15 .W87 2001)
Where to Look for Periodical Articles
How to Start Your Search
You can search by keywords or if you are looking for a specific publication click on the “publications” on the top colored bar and this will take you to a browse search where you can type in publication titles.
PLEASE NOTE: some databases require a User ID an Password for access off-campus. Use your WPCC User ID and Password to log in to these services.
WPCC Education-Related Print Periodical Subscriptions
The current issues of the above magazines are located in the Periodical Reading area and are shelved by title in alphabetical order. Back issues can be obtained by contacting any library staff member.
Where to Look on the Internet
Some specific sites are:
- History of American Education Web Project – professor created website from Eastern Illinois University that provides concise timeline and information on the history of American Education.
- AERA – American Education Research Association website that provides current research updates in the field of education.
- ABC Teach – free online resources and activities for educators of all areas and ages.
- Lesson Plans – free lesson plans on all subjects for grades preK to 12th.
- My Teacher Tools – website created by a teacher for teachers includes tons of activities and tools for educational fun.
- Teacher Planet – website loaded with information that all teachers can use – everything from lesson plans to job openings.
Putting It All Together
Some instructors specify the format that is expected for research papers submitted to them. Check with your instructor to ensure that you use the correct citation format.
- MLA Style: Documenting Sources on the World Wide Web
- A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Thesis, and Dissertations (Turabian) (Ref. LB 2369 .T8 1996)
(online Turabian Quick Guide is available here)
- Concise Rules of APA Syle (Ref. BF 7617 .C66 2005)
- MLA Handbook (8th Edition) (Ref. LB 2369 .G53 2016)
- Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (Sixth Edition) (Ref. BF 76.7 .P83 2010)
- Other citation styles can be reviewed online at the Purdue Online Writing Lab (OWL).
Feel free to ask a librarian for assistance!