Pathfinder: Criminal Justice
How to Find Books in the WPCC Library
Use our library catalog, found at one of our catalog terminals near the library entrance or online here. If you want to search by a specific title or author, choose the browse search mode under the “search” key at top of page. Try different keywords if your first search does not bring up any relevant results. There is great value in browsing the shelf area where you have found a relevant book. Look in the section of the shelves marked “HV” to find books specifically about criminal justice and in the “KF” section for the legal aspects of criminal justice. When searching the online catalog, some recommended keywords include: criminal justice, crime and criminals, criminal procedure, criminal behavior, criminology, criminal statistics, criminal psychology, corrections, prisons, police ethics, law enforcement, police training, and correctional institutions.
Selected Reference Books
- Crime in the United States 2011 (Ref. HV 6787 .A3)
- Crime and the Justice System in America (Ref. HV 6789.C6884)
- Criminal and Civil Investigation Handbook (Ref. HV 8073 .C694)
- Criminal Justice Information (Ref. HV 7419.5 .C75)
- Encyclopedia of American Law Enforcement (Ref. HV 8133 .N49 2007)
- Encyclopedia of Crime & Justice (Ref. HV6017 .E52 2002)
- Encyclopedia of Law Enforcement (Ref. HV 7921 .E53 2005)
- Encyclopedia of World Crime : Criminal Justice, Criminology, and Law Enforcement (Ref. HV6017 .E54 1989)
Where to Look for Periodical Articles
Thompson Gale Academic OneFile Database
(Requires a password of Library ID for remote access. Contact any member of the Library staff)
Academic OneFile is a multi-disciplinary database providing the complete content – indexing, abstracts, and full text. Titles include the following:
- American Criminal Law Review
- Criminal Justice Ethics
- Journal of Criminal Law & Criminology
- Law & Contemporary Problems
- Social Justice
How to Start Your Search
- Access the Academic OneFile database here.
- NCLive (Requires a password of Library ID for remote access. Contact any member of the Library staff) contains full-text articles on many topics from several thousand magazines and joumals, including criminal justice and related publications.
- You may also find full-text newspaper articles to be helpful. Try Newspaper Source Plus, the New York Times (complete articles for the past 90 days), or the Wall Street Journal.
WPCC Criminal Justice-Related Print Periodical Subscriptions
Where to Look on the Internet
Here are a number of Internet resources that may be of assistance in you research.
- Bureau of Justice Statistics – Bureau of Justice website – includes extensive crime statistics.
- Change.org / Criminal Justice – Features current news publications on controversial topics in criminal justice.
- Crime Spider – Organizes crime & law enforcement websites for easy research.
- National Criminal Justice Reference Service – U.S. Department of Justice website – a guide to criminal reference services.
- officer.com -The most popular site in law enforcement with over 3,000 hits per day, agency directories, special units & more.
- FBI Uniform Crime Reports – The FBI’s uniform crime report for the United States.
- Crime in North Carolina – North Carolina state crime statistics from the North Carolina Department of Justice.
Putting It All Together
Some instructors specify the format that is expected for research papers submitted to them. Check with your instructor to ensure that you use the correct citation format.
- Electronic Reference Formats Recommended by the American Psychological Association
- MLA Style: Documenting Sources on the World Wide Web
- A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Thesis, and Dissertations (Turabian) (Ref. LB 2369 .T8 1996)
(online Turabian Quick Guide is available here)
- Concise Rules of APA Style (Ref. BF 7617 .P83 2001)
- MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers (Seventh Edition) (Ref. LB 2369 .G53 2009)
- Online citation guides: APA, MLA, Chicago, and CBE
Feel free to ask a librarian for assistance!