How to Find Books in the WPCC Library
Use our library catalog, found at one of our catalog terminals near the library entrance or online here. By default, the catalog opens to a simple keyword search. If you want to search by a specific title or author, choose the browse search mode under the “search” key at top of page. Try different keywords if you get few/no results. Usually, using general search tenns results in more hits, rather than being very specific. If you know the title of the book you are looking for, you can click on “browse” search and then select “title”. You can also search by author, remembering to put last name first.
Selected Reference Books
- The Encyclopedia of the World’s Nations (Ref. G 63 .K874)
- The Statesman’s Yearbook (Ref. JA 51 .S7)
- Political Systems of the World (Ref. JF 51 .D467)
- World Almanac and Book of Facts (Ref. AY 67 .N5)
- Encyclopedia Britannica (Ref. AE 5 .E363)
- Latin America: History and Culture (Ref. F 1406 .T46 1999)
- Encyclopedia of Democracy (Ref. JC 423 .E53 1995)
- Worldmark Encyclopedia of the Nations (Ref. G103 .W65)
- The Columbia Gazetteer of the World (Ref. G103.5 C645)
- People and Places (Ref. AE 5 .W563)
- Historical Dictionary of the United Nations (Ref. JZ 4984.5 .B 395)
- World at Risk: A Global Issues Sourcebook (Ref. JZ 1242 .W67)
Also consider using the library’s atlases, located on the two atlas stands and in the section of reference where the call numbers start with G.
Where to Look for Online Resources
Here are a few recommended sites on the World Wide Web:
- Backgrounder / Council on Foreign Relations – Current political and economic issues succinctly explained.
- Bilateral Relations Fact Sheets – Country information prepared and regularly updated by the US State Department.
- Business Forum – World Information – Easy to use site with business and other information about most countries.
- CIA World Factbook – An Almanac providing basic political, economic, and social information about countries of the world.
- Culture Crossing – Community-built guide to cross-cultural etiquette and understanding.
- Encyclopedia of the Nations – A basic overview information on countries of the world.
- Infoplease / Countries of the World – comprehensive reference source that combines the contents of an encyclopedia, dictionary, atlas and almanac.
- Library of Congress Country Studies – Book-length studies of selected countries prepared by the Library of Congress.
- United Kingdom’s Foreign & Commonwealth Office – United kingdom’s foreign and commonwealth country profile info.
- The World Bank – International statistics.
WPCC Countries-Related Periodical Subscriptions
The current issues of the above magazines are located in the Periodical Reading area and are shelved by title in alphabetical order. Back issues can be obtained by contacting any library staff member.
- NC Live provides access to more than 60 databases. Some are general, covering a wide range of material, and some are subject-specific.A good place to begin your search is: Click on the “Magazine and Journals” link under Browse by Type (on the left side of opening page.) On the next screen, choose your database- Academic Search Premier is recommended. Remember to always choose “full text” after typing in your keywords for your search.
Thompson Gale Academic OneFile Database
This database provides access to citations, abstracts, and full text articles relating to a wide variety of disciplines. Once again, remember to choose the “full text” option before hitting the search button.
PLEASE NOTE: NC Live & Academic OneFile require a password of Library ID for remote access. Contact any member of the Library staff to get information on how to use these resources off-campus.