How to Find Books in the WPCC Library
Use our library catalog, found at one of our catalog terminals near the library entrance or online here. Click on “browse materials,” click on “subjects,” and type in your subject. Double-click on the appropriate subject heading from the resulting list. Books on your subject in our library will then be displayed. (If you know an author’s name or a particular title you can type that name in at the “author” or “title” box.) Try different keywords if your first search does not bring results. There is great value in browsing the shelf area where you have found a relevant book. Look in the section of the shelves marked “HB” to “HG” to find books specifically about business.
Selected Reference Books
- American Business & Communications Directory (Ref. HF 5035 .A44)
- The Corporate Directory of US Public Companies (Ref. HG 4057 .A156)
- Encyclopedia of Busine$$ and Finance (Ref. HF 1001 .E466)
- Hoover’s Handbook of American Business (Ref. HG 4057 .H286)
- International Dictionary of Finance (Ref. HG 151 .B274)
- North Carolina Business Directory (Ref. HC 107 .N8N7525 1998-1999)
- The Palgrave: a Dictionary of Economics (Ref. HB 61 .N49)
- Standard and Poor’s Register (Ref. HG 4057 .A4 1999)
- State Occupational Outlook Handbook (Ref. HF 5382 .S73 1998)
Where to Look for Periodical Articles
Thompson Gale Academic OneFile Database
(Requires a password of Library ID for remote access. Contact any member of the Library staff)
Academic OneFile is a multi-disciplinary database providing the complete content – indexing, abstracts, and full text. Business titles include the following:
- African Business
- Business Communications Quarterly
- Business Economics
- Business Finance
- Business Forums
- Business Horizons
- Business Management & Strategy
- Federal Reserve Bank of New York
- Journal of Education for Business
- Journal of Small Business & Entrepreneurship
- Journal of Small Business Management
- Journal of World Business
- Law and Policy in International Business
- Survey of Current Business
- NCLive (Requires a password of Library ID for remote access. Contact any member of the Library staff) provides access to several databases containing full-text periodical articles on business and business-related subjects. Try Academic Search Premier or Business Source Premier.
- You may also find full-text newspaper articles to be helpful. Try Newspaper Source Plus, the New York Times (complete articles for the past 90 days), or the Wall Street Journal.
WPCC Business Print Periodical Subscriptions
The WPCC collection includes the following:
The current issues of the above magazines are located in the Periodical Reading Are and are shelved by title in
alphabetical order. Back issues can be obtained by contacting any library staff member.
Where to Look on the Internet
Several Specific Sites are:
- biz/ed – website from the American Management Association for business
- The Dismal Scientist – part of Moody’s, some items free.
- EDGAR – EDGAR, the Electronic Data Gathering, Analysis, and Retrieval system, performs automated collection, validation, indexing, acceptance, and forwarding of submissions by companies and others who are required by law to file forms with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
- Enloop – an online business plan site with free downloads.
- Global Business & Finance Resources – links to international business and finance websites.
- Hoovers –website for company and corporation information.
- SmartPros Accounting -current accounting news and links to some free resources.
Putting It All Together
REMEMBER: Some instructors specify the format that is expected for research papers submitted to them. Check with your instructor to ensure that you use the correct citation format.
- The Basics of APA Style
Introduction to the American Psychological Association’s style of research writing.
- MLA Style
Introduction to the Modern Language Association’s style of research writing.
- A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Thesis, and Dissertations (Turabian) (Ref. LB 2369 .T8 1996)
- Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (call number: Ref. BF 76.7 .P83 2001)
- Concise Rules of APA Style (Ref. BF 76.7 .C66 2005)
- MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers (Seventh Edition) (Ref. LB 2369 .G53 2009)
Feel free to ask a librarian for assistance!