Pathfinder: Business Resources
How to Find Books in the WPCC Library
Use our library catalog, found at one of our catalog terminals near the library entrance or online here. Click on “browse materials,” click on “subjects,” and type in your subject. Double-click on the appropriate subject heading from the resulting list. Books on your subject in our library will then be displayed. (If you know an author’s name or a particular title you can type that name in at the “author” or “title” box.) Try different keywords if your first search does not bring results. There is great value in browsing the shelf area where you have found a relevant book. Look in the section of the shelves marked “HB” to “HG” to find books specifically about business.
Selected Reference Books
- American Business & Communications Directory (Ref. HF 5035 .A44)
- The Corporate Directory of US Public Companies (Ref. HG 4057 .A156)
- Encyclopedia of Busine$$ and Finance (Ref. HF 1001 .E466)
- Hoover’s Handbook of American Business (Ref. HG 4057 .H286)
- International Dictionary of Finance (Ref. HG 151 .B274)
- North Carolina Business Directory (Ref. HC 107 .N8N7525 1998-1999)
- The Palgrave: a Dictionary of Economics (Ref. HB 61 .N49)
- Standard and Poor’s Register (Ref. HG 4057 .A4 1999)
- State Occupational Outlook Handbook (Ref. HF 5382 .S73 1998)
Where to Look for Periodical Articles
Thompson Gale Academic OneFile Database
(Requires a password of Library ID for remote access. Contact any member of the Library staff)
Academic OneFile is a multi-disciplinary database providing the complete content – indexing, abstracts, and full text. Business titles include the following:
- Business Economics
- Business Finance
- Business Horizons
- Federal Reserve Bank of New York Business Review
- Journal of Education for Business
- Journal of Small Business & Entrepreneurship
- Journal of Small Business Management
- Journal of World Business
- Law and Policy in International Business
- Survey of Current Business
- NCLive (Requires a password of Library ID for remote access. Contact any member of the Library staff) provides access to several databases containing full-text periodical articles on business and business-related subjects. Try ProQuest Business Market Research Collection or Simply7 Analytics.
- You may also find full-text newspaper articles to be helpful. Try Infotrac Newsstand, the New York Times (complete articles for the past 90 days), or the Wall Street Journal.
WPCC Business Print Periodical Subscriptions
The WPCC collection includes the following:
- Black Enterprise
- Bloomberg’s Business Week
- Journal of Accountacy
The current issues of the above magazines are located in the Periodical Reading Are and are shelved by title in alphabetical order. Back issues can be obtained by contacting any library staff member.
Where to Look on the Internet
Several Specific Sites are:
- The Dismal Scientist – part of Moody’s, some items free.
- EDGAR – EDGAR, the Electronic Data Gathering, Analysis, and Retrieval system, performs automated collection, validation, indexing, acceptance, and forwarding of submissions by companies and others who are required by law to file forms with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
- Global Business & Finance Resources – links to international business and finance websites.
- Hoovers –website for company and corporation information.
- SmartPros Accounting -current accounting news and links to some free resources.
Putting It All Together
Some instructors specify the format that is expected for research papers submitted to them. Check with your instructor to ensure that you use the correct citation format.
- Electronic Reference Formats Recommended by the American Psychological Association
- MLA Style: Documenting Sources on the World Wide Web
- A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Thesis, and Dissertations (Turabian) (Ref. LB 2369 .T8 1996)
(online Turabian Quick Guide is available here)
- Concise Rules of APA Syle (Ref. BF 7617 .C66 2005)
- MLA Handbook (8th Edition) (Ref. LB 2369 .G53 2016)
- Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (Sixth Edition) (Ref. BF 76.7 .P83 2010)
- Other citation styles can be reviewed online at the Purdue Online Writing Lab (OWL).
Feel free to ask a librarian for assistance!
page updated 10/2017