How to Find Books in the WPCC Library
Use our library catalog, found at one of our catalog terminals near the library entrance or online here. By default, the catalog opens to a simple keyword search. If you want to search by a specific title or author, choose the browse search mode under the “search” key at top of page. Try different keywords if your first search does not bring up any relevant results. There is great value in browsing the shelf area where you have found a relevant book. Look in the section of the shelves marked “QB” to find books specifically about astronomy.
Selected Reference Books
- Biographical Encyclopedia of Scientists (Ref. Q 141 .B53 1994)
- Cambridge Atlas of Astronomy (Ref. QB 65 .G6813 1994)
- Cambridge Guide to the Solar System (Ref. QB 501 .L24 2003)
- Encyclopedia of Cosmology (Ref. QB 980.5 .E53)
- McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Astronomy (Ref. QB 14 .M3725)
- McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science and Technology (Ref. Q 121 .M3 1997)
- Science & Technology Almanac 2000 (Ref. Q 124.6 .S35 2000)
- Science Desk Reference (Ref. Q 173 .S427 1999)
Where To Look for Periodical Articles
There are two main groups of online databases offered by the library: NC Live and the Academic OneFile. If
you want to access these resources from home, you will need to sign a form (available at the circulation desk)
to obtain the passwords.
- NCLive provides access to more than 60 databases. Some are general, covering a wide range of material, and some are subject-specific.
- EZ-search- searching option, available on the opening screen of NC Live, searches over 30 of NCLive’s databases simultaneously. Note that on your results screen, you can click the hyperlinked words “full text” by the databases’ names. This will bring you to the full text articles the search found rather than just abstracts and citations.
Thompson Gale Academic OneFile Database
This is an excellent source for full-text articles. Start by searching for one or two keywords about your research
topic in the advanced search, putting each one in a different search box. If your search retrieved too many articles, try narrowing your search by adding keywords. You might want to click the box that limits the search to full-text articles. Be aware that the way to full text might involve a few steps. Just follow the links and ask a librarian if you cannot find the article.
PLEASE NOTE: NC Live & Academic OneFile require a password of Library ID for remote access. Contact any member of the Library staff to get information on how to use these resources off-campus.
WPCC Sciences Print Periodical Subscriptions
The current issues of the above magazines are located in the Periodical Reading area and are shelved by title in alphabetical order. Back issues can be obtained by contacting any library staff member.
Online Science Periodicals Include:
- Astronomy Letters
- Astronomy Reports
- Journal of the British Astronomical Association
- Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society
Where to Look on the Internet
Several specific sites are:
- astronomy.com – website for Astronomy Magazine.
- Astronomy Online – Astronomy Information and resources.
- Exploratorium – great website for all ages – check out the planetarium!
- Hubblesite – The official site for the telescope with a vast array of very cool pictures updated on a frequent basis.
- NASA – The premier site for US astronomy and space-related events.
- Physlink – physics and astronomy online education and reference resources.
- Sky & Telescope – website for Sky and Telescope magazine.
- The Astronomy Net – contains astronomy resources, searchable forums, and searchable lists of organizations providing astronomy services.
Putting It All Together
REMEMBER: Some instructors specify the format that is expected for research papers submitted to them. Check with your instructor to ensure that you use the correct citation format.
- The Basics of APA Style
Introduction to the American Psychological Association’s style of research writing.
- MLA Style
Introduction to the Modern Language Association’s style of research writing.
- A Manual for Writers of Research Papers (Turabian) (Ref. LB 2369 .T8 1996)
- Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (Ref. BF 76/7 .P83 2001)
- Concise Rules of APA Style (Ref. BF 76.7 .C66 2005)
- MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers (seventh edition) (Ref. LB 2369 .G53 2009)
Feel free to ask a librarian for assistance!