How to Find Books in the WPCC Library
Use our library catalog, found at one of our catalog terminals near the library entrance or online here. By default, the catalog opens to a simple keyword search. If you want to search by a specific title or author, choose the browse search mode under the “search” key at top of page. Try different keywords if your first search does not bring up any relevant results. There is great value in browsing the shelf area where you have found a relevant book. Look in the section of the shelves marked “HF” to find books specifically about accounting.
Selected Reference Books
- Encyclopedia of Amerlcan Economic History (Ref. HC 103 .E52)
- Business: the Ultimate Resource (Ref. HD 38.15 .B8780 2006)
- Encyclopedia of Busine$$ and Finance (Ref. HF 1001 .E466 2001)
- Miller’s Comprehensive GAAP Guide (Ref. HF 5616 .U5M5)
- International Dictionary of Finance (Ref. HG 151 .82741999)
Where to Look for Periodical Articles
Thompson Gale Academic OneFile Database
(Requires a password or Library ID for remote access. Contact any member of the Library staff)
Academic OneFile is a multi-disciplinary database providing the complete content – indexing, abstracts, and full text. Titles include the following:
- Accounting Horizon
- Accounting Review
- Accounting Technology
- Accounting Today
- Bank Accounting and Finance
- Business Economics
- Business Insurance
- Management Accounting (USA)
- Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance
- NCLive (Requires a password of Library ID for remote access. Contact any member of the Library staff) provides access to several databases containing full-text periodical articles on accounting and finance and related subjects. Try Academic Search Premier or Business Source Premier.
- You may also find full-text newspaper articles to be helpful. Try Newspaper Source Plus, the New York Times (complete articles for the past 90 days), or the Wall Street Journal.
WPCC Business/Accounting-Related Print Periodical Subscriptions
These include the following:
- Journal of Accountancy
The current issues of the above magazines are located in the Periodical Reading area and are shelved by title in alphabetical order. Back issues can be obtained by contacting any library staff member.
Where to Look on the Internet
A specific site is:
- Accounting Basics for Students – Links to information on accounting basics
- Accounting Coach – Designed to help people without an accounting background understand concepts
- accountingmajors.com – Informational links by a CPA
- AICPA – Website of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Cengage – How to study accounting from Cengage
- IRS – Website of the Internal Revenue Service
- taxsites.com – Tax, accounting, and payroll sites directory
Putting It All Together
Some instructors specify the format that is expected for research papers submitted to them. Check with your instructor to ensure that you use the correct citation format.
- Electronic Reference Formats Recommended by the American Psychological Association
- MLA Style: Documenting Sources on the World Wide Web
- A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Thesis, and Dissertations (Turabian) (Ref. LB 2369 .T8 1996)
(online Turabian Quick Guide is available here)
- Concise Rules of APA Syle (Ref. BF 7617 .P83 2001)
- MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers (7th Edition) (Ref. LB 2369 .T8 1996)
- Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (Sixth Edition) (Ref. BF 76.7 .P83 2010)
- Online citation guides: APA, MLA, Chicago, and CBE
Feel free to ask a librarian for assistance!
page updated 4/14/14