Types of Aid


The following is a brief description of grant programs available to students at WPCC. Grants are gift money that does not need to be repaid as long as the student does not withdraw from or stop attending all classes. Students wishing to be considered for grant aid should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for each academic year.

Federal Pell Grant –  is generally awarded to undergraduate students with financial need, who have not already earned a bachelor’s or professional degree. A student’s EFC will determine whether or not they are eligible and how much he or she will be awarded. A student’s semester hours will determine the amount that will be disbursed, and the Pell Grant can generally be paid for full-time enrollment (12 or more credit hours), three-quarter time (9-11 credit hours), half-time (6-8 credit hours), and less than half-time (1-5 credit hours).

Pell Grant Award Range: $652 – $6,095 for 2018-2019

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) –  is a smaller grant that is awarded to students with the greatest financial need (lowest EFC). Limited funds are provided by the federal government and are awarded by the WPCC Financial Aid Office to both full-time and part-time students. Since funds are limited, priority is given to students with zero EFCs who file the FAFSA earliest in the year.

FSEOG Award Range: $600 per year for 2018-2019

North Carolina Community College Grant (NCCCG) – is a grant established by the North Carolina General Assembly to help meet the educational costs of attending a community college. To be considered for this grant, a student must be a North Carolina resident for tuition purposes and enrolled at least half-time (6 credit hours per semester). A student’s EFC and enrollment status will determine whether or not he or she is eligible, and how much he will receive. A student must be enrolled in 15 credit hours per semester to receive the maximum Full Time Plus award amount. This grant is only available for Fall and Spring semesters.

NCCCG Award Range: $100 – $2,800 per year for 2018-2019

North Carolina Education Lottery Scholarship (NCELS) – was created by the 2005 North Carolina General Assembly to provide financial assistance to needy North Carolina residents attending eligible colleges and universities located within the state. To be considered for this grant, a student must be a North Carolina resident for tuition purposes and enrolled at least half-time (6 credit hours per semester). A student’s EFC and enrollment status will determine whether or not he or she is eligible, and how much the student will receive. This grant is only available for Fall and Spring semesters.

NCELS Award Range: $152 – $2,852per year for 2018-2019

Federal Work Study

Federal work-study provides part-time jobs for students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and most of the on-campus work is clerical in nature. Students will be paid monthly for the number of hours worked, usually between 8-15 hours per week.  The hourly rate of pay is at least minimum wage.  Students interested in a Work Study position should complete the FAFSA and the WPCC Work Study Application.


WPCC General and Merit Scholarship applications are available from mid-February until June 1st each year to be awarded the following fall term. Award amounts vary from $200 to $2200. Applications can be found on WPCC’s Scholarship web page and in the information rack in Hildebrand Hall.

WPCC’ sFinancial Aid Office also provides information regarding outside Scholarship Opportunities as they become known and available.  Printed information can be found in the Financial Aid Information rack in the main upstairs hallway of Hildebrand Hall.

Other Sources

Forgivable Education Loans for Service (NC FELS) – New NC Program
Established by the 2011 NC General Assembly through the consolidation of eight programs into one. Purpose of the program is to provide financial assistance to qualified students to enable them to obtain requisite education beyond the high school level to work in North Carolina in high-need professions and to respond to critical employment shortages. Eligible institutions include: UNC campuses, community college campuses, most private non-profit college campuses, postsecondary institutions owned or operated by a hospital, school of nursing affiliated with a nonprofit postsecondary institution and other public or nonprofit postsecondary institutions offering program of student not otherwise available in NC that is deemed to be eligible. Additional information and how to apply can be found at CFNC.

Private or Alternative Loans – Students who need to borrow to help meet educational expenses have the option to pursue a loan through a bank or lender of their own choosing.  Additional information and tips on locating a lender can be found on WPCC’s Loan page.

Emergency Funds

Get Assistance When You Need It

If you have a serious financial emergency that may cause you to miss class or drop out of college for a semester, Western Piedmont Community College may be able to assist with providing financial resources.

If you have completed 75 percent …

… of a curriculum or continuing education program (or if you’re currently enrolled in classes that will put you at or above the 75 percent mark) you may be eligible for financial assistance through the Finish Line Grant – a new program established by Gov. Roy Cooper that provides up to $1,000 for a non-recurring financial need. This program is jointly administered by WPCC and the Western Piedmont Workforce Development Board.

To apply for these funds, you must:

  1. Be enrolled in a Workforce Innovation & Opportunity Act (WIOA)-approved degree, diploma or certificate program.
  2. Have completed (including current enrollment) at least 75% of degree or credential.
  3. Be making satisfactory academic progress.
  4. Meet with a counselor in the WPCC Financial Aid Office to get eligibility certified.
  5. Once referred by WPCC’s Financial Aid Office, you will need to gather the following items and meet the WIOA case manager assigned to you:
    1. Completed Finish Line Grant Application
    2. WPCC verification of eligibility
    3. Documentation of the cost of emergency need
    4. Social security card
    5. Proof of citizenship
    6. Proof of residency
    7. Selective Service registration (if applicable)
    8. Veteran status (DD-214) (if applicable)

Please note that through the Finish Line Grant, disbursement of funds would occur directly to the agency/vendor (not to the student) within 72 hours of completing your application. WIOA case managers are responsible for determining final eligibility, awarding, and disbursing funds.

Finish Line Grants may assist for allowable expenses such as:

  • Transportation assistance and auto repairs (excluding regular maintenance)
  • Child care expenses
  • Housing and utilities (internet and phone service not allowed)
  • Books and school supplies
  • Medical needs
  • Accommodations for individuals with disabilities

To apply for assistance, visit the WPCC Financial Aid Office in Hildebrand Hall. Office hours are Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., with extended hours on Tuesdays until 7:00 p.m.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email