Defensive Driving Safety Program
For information please call (828) 448-6133
Do you have a ticket?
You are eligible for the Defensive Driving Program if your citation is for one of the following:
- City Code Violations
- Exceeding a safe speed
- No child restraint
- Driving left of center
- Speeding- 15 mph or less over speed limit
- Leaving vehicle unattended
- Speed less than minimum
- Too fast for conditions
- Crossing median
- Any equipment violation
- Failure to stop for RR warning
- Driving without two headlights
- Stop sign violation
- Failing to dim headlights
- Failing to burn headlamps
- Unsafe movement
- Exceeding posted speed limit
- Failing to reduce speed
- Improper use of traffic lane
- Wrong way on one-way road
- Overloading violations
- Red light violation
- Failing to give turn signal
- Failing to yield right-of-way
NO Insurance Points and NO Drivers License Points
If you have been charged with a minor violation in the 25th Judicial District, you may elect to have it reduced by the District Attorney, David Learner, by completing a 4-hour defensive driving course! This course is offered through Western Piedmont Community College and the Safety and Health Council of North Carolina to train motorists in the principles of defensive driving. If this course is completed and the information presented to the Clerk of Court’s office for payment, no later than five (5) working days before your scheduled court date, there will be NO Insurance Points, NO Drivers License Points and NO Court Appearance.
In order to take advantage of this opportunity you MUST:
- Have written permission from the DA to take the class if you were speeding more than 15 mph over the speed limit, if you were speeding in a work or school zone, if you were driving over 80 mph, or you have taken the class in the last three years.
- Register in person on Tuesdays from 8:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. – Hildebrand Hall, WPCC Main Campus [map].
- Pay $50.00 for the cost of administering and teaching the Defensive Driving Course (cash or money order made payable to Western Piedmont Community College.
- Complete the four-hour Defensive Driving Course at least five working days before your court date.
- Enter into a written Plea Agreement and plead guilty to driving with improper equipment.
- Provide proof of course completion.
- Pay all applicable court costs and fines (five (5) days before your scheduled court date) to the Clerk of Court in the county in which you received your citation.
You are NOT eligible and you CANNOT take advantage of the program if:
- Your charge is not listed above, OR
- Your court date has passed, OR
- You have taken the course in the previous 3 years OR
- You have paid your citation prior to class, OR
- You have been convicted of a violation carrying 4 points or more in the past three years, OR
- You have accumulated 5 points or more in the past 3 yrs
You will need the following to register:
- Your traffic citation
- Your drivers license
- Students in high school will need a Concurrent Enrollment Form (PDF file – open with the free Adobe Reader) signed by their principal or guidance counselor
- $50.00 cash (please bring correct change) or money order made payable to Western Piedmont Community College. This is a self-supporting class and registration fees are non-refundable.
Here is the schedule for upcoming Defensive Driving classes at WPCC. Please note that registration times for classes are Tuesdays from 8:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Wednesday classes meet from 6:00-10:00 p.m. Saturday classes are from 8:00 a.m. to noon.
|January 31, 2016||February 1, 2016||February 2, 2016||February 3, 2016||February 4, 2016||February 5, 2016||February 6, 2016|
|February 7, 2016||February 8, 2016||February 9, 2016||February 10, 2016||February 11, 2016||February 12, 2016||February 13, 2016|
|February 14, 2016||February 15, 2016||February 16, 2016||February 17, 2016||February 18, 2016||February 19, 2016||February 20, 2016|
|February 21, 2016||February 22, 2016||February 23, 2016||February 24, 2016||February 25, 2016||February 26, 2016||February 27, 2016|
|February 28, 2016||February 29, 2016||March 1, 2016||March 2, 2016||March 3, 2016||March 4, 2016||March 5, 2016|